Andersen and captain Cairney ruled out of Fulham's Chelsea opener, Arbeloa confirms

At his first press conference as Fulham manager, Alvaro Arbeloa confirmed that Joachim Andersen and captain Tom Cairney will be unavailable for Fulham’s home Premier League opener against Chelsea on 25th August. The match will be Arbeloa’s first game in charge of the club and is scheduled for 25th August at 12:30 am IST.
Speaking in his opening briefing after taking the job, Arbeloa offered largely positive squad news ahead of Monday night’s home derby with Chelsea, which is Fulham’s opening match of the new Premier League season. He said the majority of the squad would be fit for selection for that fixture.
Joachim Andersen will miss the game as he is serving the final match of a suspension received for a two-footed lunge on a Bournemouth player on May 9 of last season.
Tom Cairney, Fulham’s captain, is also unavailable after undergoing a minor operation on his left knee earlier this month. “Tom is the only player who is not available. He’s still injured,” Arbeloa said. “Maybe after the first international break, he will be ready to be back with the squad. All others are fit and ready for Monday.”
In a 2-1 friendly victory over Stuttgart, Arbeloa deployed Calvin Bassey, described in the report as a left-sided player by nature, alongside Jorge Cuenca in central defence in Andersen’s absence.
The club report states that no broader injury crisis exists and that the remainder of the squad are available for the Chelsea fixture.
Fulham’s opening Premier League match against Chelsea is confirmed for 25th August at 12:30 am IST; it will serve as Arbeloa’s first competitive game in charge of the side.

