Axe looming over Australian top order after nine-wicket loss to Bangladesh in Darwin

Australia were beaten by Bangladesh by nine wickets in Darwin on Sunday (August 16, 2026) in the first Test, a result that has prompted urgent calls for changes to the embattled Australian batting line-up. The defeat left selectors, former players and captain Pat Cummins publicly questioning the makeup of the top order.
The match had been billed as a mismatch after Bangladesh had been dismissed in an innings defeat in their only warm-up game and toured without injured pace spearhead Nahid Rana, yet the visitors produced what the report described as a historic victory that left top-ranked Australia shell-shocked. Australian media on Monday (August 17) labelled the outcome "a disaster" and "the most embarrassing" ever, and the loss followed other recent surprise home defeats including an eight-run loss to the West Indies at the Gabba in 2024.
Calls for a clean-up accelerated after the result, with former captain Ricky Ponting — who scored more than 13,000 Test runs — urging significant changes. "I'm the last one to want to make change," he saidwhen the Test was in its death throes. "As a captain or as a player I wanted to keep a group together, so it has to get to a bad point before I start saying you've got to leave somebody out. "But there's been enough evidence for me coming here [Darwin] to suggest they weren't going to lose anything, or much at all, by starting that regeneration, bringing in another opener, bringing in someone at three... I think that has to happen."
Individual batting performances were sparse apart from Steve Smith, who made 71 and 44, and Cameron Green, who scored a second-innings century; otherwise the Australian batting suffered a succession of soft dismissals. Openers Jake Weatherald and Marnus Labuschagne were identified as most at risk, with both averaging under 27 since the start of the Ashes against England in late 2025 and described as rapidly running out of lives. "The 1-2-3, as Ricky and I will tell you, are absolutely fundamental to the set-up of a batting team," former opener Matthew Hayden said.
Selectors and team management acknowledged the issue with batting depth after Darwin: Josh Inglis was the spare batter in the touring party and skipper Pat Cummins said selectors could look for alternatives outside the 13-man squad, accepting the batting failures were "a little bit of a trend". There is growing support for a younger generation, with Sam Konstas, Campbell Kellaway, Ollie Peake and Cooper Connolly mentioned as candidates, and former players urging fresh blood. "You have to bite the bullet at some stage," Mark Waugh said, while David Warner added: "I think we've got to start blooding some youngsters." Media reports suggested Kurtis Patterson or Nathan McSweeney were being considered as potential replacements for Labuschagne, although neither had been in outstanding form.
The bowling group appeared more secure despite age concerns: Pat Cummins, Mitchell Starc, Josh Hazlewood and Nathan Lyon were viewed as the tried and tested unit, and Hazlewood, returning from injury, took a six-wicket haul in Bangladesh's first innings. Veteran off-spinner Lyon, 38, was outbowled by Bangladesh's Mehidy Hasan Miraz in Darwin, leaving understudy Todd Murphy, 25, as the first in the pecking order to take over. Darwin was the first of up to 21 Tests Australia will play over the next 12 months.
The most immediate selection question is for the second Test, with a likely change the introduction of Matt Renshaw for Jake Weatherald ahead of the match starting in Mackay on Saturday (August 22); Australia face a three-Test tour of South Africa as their next assignment in October.
