Carlos Alcaraz to return at US Open in Flushing Meadows on August 23

20 Aug 2026, 11:02 pm IST|
Carlos Alcaraz to return at US Open in Flushing Meadows on August 23
Image source

Carlos Alcaraz has confirmed he will resume competition at the US Open in Flushing Meadows when the tournament gets underway on August 23, the defending champion said on social media. The 23-year-old has been sidelined since April with a wrist injury sustained at the Barcelona Open.

Alcaraz's injury forced him to miss both the French Open and Wimbledon and cost him the ATP world No.1 ranking, which reverted to Jannik Sinner; he is currently listed second on the ATP rankings. He also missed three Masters 1000 events and briefly fell to No. 3 after Alexander Zverev won the French Open.

The Spaniard used the assistance of football transfer journalist Fabrizio Romano to announce his return; a post shared by Fabrizio Romano (@fabriziorom) carried the confirmation. Alcaraz said via his social channels that he will be fit to compete at Flushing Meadows.

Sinner strengthened his position at the top of the rankings by successfully defending his Wimbledon title in July while Alcaraz was absent. Alcaraz's withdrawal from the tour during the spring and early summer opened that opportunity for the Italian.

Alcaraz will be back in New York as the reigning champion, having beaten Jannik Sinner in the 2025 final to claim his second US Open crown. The title defence at Flushing Meadows is the immediate focus of his comeback plans.

On the Grand Slam front, Alcaraz first rose to prominence by winning the US Open in 2022 and added a second Flushing Meadows title in 2025; he has since accumulated seven major trophies, including two Wimbledon titles, two French Open crowns and one Australian Open. Those totals were provided in the announcement of his planned return.

Sinner's participation in New York remains uncertain after he missed the Cincinnati Masters earlier this month because of a knee injury; Cincinnati served as the final major warm-up ahead of the US Open and Sinner has not yet disclosed whether he will be fit to compete in New York.

Alcaraz is confirmed to be fit to play at the US Open starting August 23, and his comeback could see him compete in the Laver Cup in September before turning to the Shanghai Masters, the Paris Masters and the ATP Finals.

Carlos AlcarazJannik SinnerFabrizio RomanoUS Open 2026Flushing Meadows