David Warner says media coverage harmed commercial opportunities after drink-driving conviction

18 Aug 2026, 12:06 pm IST|
David Warner says media coverage harmed commercial opportunities after drink-driving conviction
Image source

David Warner said global media attention cost him overseas commercial opportunities after he was convicted and fined $1,500 for mid-range drink-driving at Waverley Local Court on Tuesday.

The 39-year-old former Test opener told the court through his barrister that widespread reporting of the offence had amounted to an additional punishment; Warner was arrested after a mid-range breath-test on Easter Sunday when he attempted to change seats with a passenger on an Easter trip home from the subcontinent. He had been captaining the Karachi Kings in the Pakistan Super League at the time of the trip, the agreed facts read out in court stated, and he blew more than twice the legal limit before cooperating with police testing, Judge Clare Farnan noted.

Barrister Awais Ahmad argued Warner should be spared a conviction because the fallout from media coverage had already penalised him, listing international outlets that reported the arrest. Ahmad told the court the incident had been covered in ESPN, Al Jazeera and the Indian Express and warned: “The consequences of his offending are profound.” He added: “Commercial opportunities [are] being affected.”

Ahmad also questioned NSW Police’s decision to issue a press release about the arrest, saying that action contributed to widespread attention. “The media onslaught thereafter has been quite profound,” the lawyer said, and the court heard there had been harsh commentary on social media directed at Warner and his wife Candice Warner, which Judge Farnan noted.

Warner’s lawyer told the court the player’s leadership role with the Sydney Thunder in the Big Bash League was under threat, and the judge was told the Thunder, the Sydney Sixers and the NSW Blues take part in a state government campaign to deter drink-driving. Despite the mitigation, Judge Farnan emphasised the public interest in deterrence in reaching her decision to convict.

The judge referenced statistics for similar offences, saying more than 17,300 people had appeared before the court in the past five years for mid-range drink-driving and added: “I accept Mr Warner is unlikely to reoffend,” followed by: “[But] regrettably, drink-driving is still a significant factor in many crashes in NSW.” She also found the offence was aggravated because children were in the car at the time.

Warner will be permitted to resume driving once he applies for an interlock licence and has the device fitted to his vehicle; the interlock will prevent the car from starting if it detects alcohol in his system.

David WarnerKarachi KingsSydney ThunderPakistan Super LeagueBig Bash League