Five Sydney Swans players stood down amid Melbourne police investigation

Five Sydney Swans players — Isaac Heeney, Chad Warner, Nick Blakey, James Jordon and Riley Bice — were stood down by the club for the remainder of the AFL season on Wednesday after detectives in Melbourne opened an investigation into an alleged sexual assault said to have occurred in the early hours of Monday at the Pullman Hotel where the players were staying following a weekend match in Melbourne. None of the players have been arrested or charged in the investigation.
The club announced the suspensions saying the five had been banned for late-night drinking and for bringing women to the hotel after the match. In a statement announcing the suspensions the club said: "We respect there is an ongoing investigation by Victoria Police and the actions we have taken today are independent of this. "The AFL is supportive of the Club's sanctions." Chairman Andrew Pridham apologised to fans, players and the wider community on Wednesday.
Swans chief executive Matthew Pavlich addressed reporters at a media conference, saying: "We're deeply embarrassed and ashamed that the poor choices of five of our players, and the impact that's had on the women involved and also the club. "We are deeply concerned about their welfare and the wellbeing of those women." He declined to say whether any of the players had been drug tested, saying that any testing would form part of the police inquiry.
A Victoria Police spokesperson said officers have spoken to several people who were at the Pullman Hotel, but no one was formally interviewed or arrested. Detectives in Melbourne began the inquiry after reports of an alleged sexual assault at the hotel in the early hours of Monday.
On Tuesday, club officials held talks with the players ahead of their suspension. AFL chief executive Andrew Dillon has described the reports of the alleged sexual assault as "deeply concerning".
Sydney have dominated this season and are currently placing second on the ladder, which guarantees them a spot in the qualifying and elimination finals round that begins in two weeks. Heeney and Warner are considered two of the sport's biggest stars.
The Swans are scheduled to play North Melbourne at the Sydney Cricket Ground on Sunday, which will be their final fixture before the qualifying and elimination finals begin in two weeks. The five suspended players will not be available for selection for that match.