Fury says Joshua fight ‘doesn't look like it's going to happen’ amid venue dispute

On 21 August 2026 Tyson Fury said on Instagram that his scheduled fight with Anthony Joshua "doesn't look like it's going to happen" and launched a verbal attack on Joshua's promoter Eddie Hearn.
The bout has become entangled in a dispute over where it should be staged: Joshua and Hearn signed a contract for the fight to take place in the United Kingdom while Saudi organisers are pushing for a move to the United States. Both Joshua and Fury have separate contracts with Saudi Arabian-owned Sela, with Madison Square Garden understood to be Sela's preference so the fight — which will broadcast on Netflix — can cater for American audiences. On Thursday Hearn told IFL TV he had sent Sela a list of changes required for the fight to occur in America, saying the principal alteration concerns compensation because of different tax implications.
Hearn said: "In layman's terms, by staging the fight in America, Anthony Joshua receives less money than he would do if the fight was in the UK where he was contractually agreed." He added the addendum also covers practical matters including travel, accreditation and media arrangements, and that it had been approved by Joshua and his lawyer before being sent to Sela. "We've had no feedback yet," Hearn said, and he added he had not heard from Sela for three or four days.
Reports on Thursday suggested a list of changes had been presented to the Saudi organisers; Hearn said those reports were based on a leaked email and insisted the issues raised in that leaked email were not part of the addendum he sent. "The addendum does not have one of those points raised in that leaked email," he said. Hearn confirmed Matchroom had met Sela about money owed to the organisation for previously agreed contracts and said those commercial matters were separate from the Joshua-Fury contract.
Hearn declined to address claims that Joshua was still owed money from his most recent fight against Kristian Prenga, saying: "I'm not going to go into that at the moment. That's a contractual position that will be left for another day." BBC Sport has contacted Sela for comment. The situation has also been complicated by the arrival of the Dana White-fronted Zuffa Boxing venture, which is jointly owned by Sela and TKO Group Holdings; TKO is the managing partner while White is among the promotion's executive leaders.
Hearn criticised the push to stage the fight in America, saying: "The reason that this is happening, to be completely honest with you, is because TKO and Zuffa have basically convinced or tried to convince Turki that this fight is massive in America." Fury addressed White's involvement on social media: "White wants to be involved, he can come on my side. He can be a part of me. Get in, Dana. You want to make the fight, you can come on my side," he wrote.
In his Instagram posts Fury also attacked Joshua and Hearn directly, writing: "Doesn't look like they're going to sign the fight and it doesn't look like it's going to happen all because Eddie Hearn and that want more money," and calling them "disgusting" and "money-thirsty." He added: "It is what it is. Same old cliche a decade later. Keep running you little cowards," called Hearn a "bag carrier" and criticised Joshua's mindset, and posted: "I'll move on and fight somebody else but just know you never had the guts to fight Tyson Fury, ever, you little coward."
Joshua and Fury are described in the report as two of the biggest names in British boxing who have become crossover stars, and there has been strong support within British boxing for the fight to take place in the UK. Hearn said staging it in Britain was not about how many fans could attend: "It's about British boxing. It's about amateur boxing clubs. It's about kids watching the biggest fight in boxing in our country," and added: "And more than that, it's about Anthony Joshua wanting to have this fight in Britain where he won the Olympic gold medal, where he won the World Championship, where he absolutely changed the face of boxing forever."
The pair had been expected to meet in November, but uncertainty over the venue and unresolved discussions with Sela have cast fresh doubt on whether the bout will proceed as planned.