India's September 2026 tour of Bangladesh faces further delay, Tamim Iqbal signals

On August 20, Bangladesh Cricket Board president Tamim Iqbal indicated that India’s scheduled tour of Bangladesh in September 2026 — a six-match limited-overs series of three ODIs and three T20Is in Dhaka and Chattogram — is likely to be postponed again.
The series was originally planned for August 2025 but was moved after political tensions and logistics-related problems left the BCCI and BCB at odds, prompting a reschedule to September 2026. The BCB confirmed the fixture list in January and announced the venues as Dhaka and Chattogram. A report in ESPN Cricinfo has since said the tour could be assigned fresh dates or face further delays or cancellation.
At a recent press conference, the BCB announced an age-group tournament to be played between August 28 and September 9 at Sher-e-Bangla National Stadium in Dhaka. When questioned about India’s proposed September tour, Tamim said: “Both boards remain in discussion about the India series. The dates may be shifted here or there. This tournament is being held in Mirpur, but it can be shifted to the Basundhara ground in two minutes. If the India series is locked and fixed, we will schedule it accordingly.”
There has been no formal confirmation from the Indian board regarding the September fixtures. With the first ODI scheduled for September 3 and only a couple of weeks remaining before that date, sources in the media have reported a high chance the tour will be postponed yet again.
Relations between the two boards deteriorated earlier this year after Kolkata Knight Riders released Bangladeshi pacer Mustafizur Rahman ahead of IPL 2026. The Aminul Islam-led BCB subsequently refused to tour India for the 2026 T20 World Cup.
Those tensions eased after engagement between the boards and talks to resolve outstanding issues, a process that included Tamim’s visit to the BCCI’s Centre of Excellence in Bengaluru earlier this month. According to the BCB’s statements, terms were worked out between the two boards during that period.
With the first ODI still listed for September 3 but no confirmation from the BCCI, Tamim’s comments and the ESPN Cricinfo report have cast doubt on whether the series will begin as scheduled and raised the prospect of another postponement.

