ISL delayed to October and will run with 13 teams after Diamond Harbour misses payment deadline

19 Aug 2026, 11:48 pm IST|
ISL delayed to October and will run with 13 teams after Diamond Harbour misses payment deadline
Image source

The Indian Super League season that had been due to begin on September 4 will now start in October after the FIFA international match window, and will proceed with 13 clubs after Diamond Harbour FC failed to meet a payment deadline, the All India Football Federation said on Wednesday.

The ISL had been scheduled to kick off on September 4 but will now begin only after October 6, following the FIFA window that runs from September 21 to October 6. Diamond Harbour, who earned promotion by winning the Indian Football League 2025-26, did not pay the second installment of the participation fee — Rs 55 lakh — by the extended deadline. All 14 clubs had been required to pay the second installment, part of a total Rs 1.1 crore participation fee, by an August 14 deadline that was extended for Diamond Harbour until Wednesday.

A top AIFF official told PTI: "The ISL is likely to start only in October after the FIFA window," and added, "We are going with 13 teams in the ISL." The federation’s comments confirmed that the league will proceed without Diamond Harbour after the missed payment.

Churchill Brothers paid the full Rs 1.1 crore participation fee on August 14 to be included in the upcoming ISL season after Jamshedpur Football Club sold its entire stake to the Goan side. Jamshedpur had pulled out of the ISL and disbanded the first team on July 31, hours after the deadline for the first instalment of Rs 55 lakh.

Separately, the AIFF issued a statement condemning what it called "incorrect claims that its decision not to participate in the FIFA ASEAN Cup 2026 has resulted in a predetermined financial penalty or fine." The federation added that "The AIFF is also concerned about the public circulation of unverified figures and claims regarding its finances without any supporting basis or documentation."

The AIFF noted that India withdrew from the inaugural FIFA ASEAN Cup to prioritise an international friendly against Brazil and said the decision to host Brazil on October 3 in Kolkata "was taken through the appropriate institutional processes, recognising the exceptional opportunity it presents for Indian football, the national team and millions of fans." "The match will give a morale boost to the Indian national team while driving fans towards Indian football, the impact of which is unquantifiable. The match is a mutually agreed international sporting opportunity between two football federations and should not be portrayed as a one-sided arrangement," the federation added.

The AIFF also stated: "The AIFF respects the democratic right to express opinions on Indian football. However, statements concerning the Federation's finances and use of funds must be based on facts and verifiable information." It warned that the circulation of "factually incorrect statements has the potential to adversely affect India's reputation and standing nationally and internationally." "We believe those who have made these claims have the best interests of Indian football in mind and may be misinformed. The AIFF, through this statement, seeks to make all aware of the facts. Should the concerned person(s) continue to disseminate incorrect claims, the AIFF will pursue appropriate legal remedies against those who continue to knowingly publish and/or circulate false and defamatory statements."

With the AIFF confirming a start only after the FIFA window ends on October 6 and the national federation signalling possible legal action over disputed financial claims, the ISL season will begin in October with 13 participating teams and India will host Brazil in Kolkata on October 3 as previously announced.

Diamond Harbour FCAll India Football FederationChurchill BrothersJamshedpur Football Club