Lopez defeats Romero in Las Vegas and passes on Catterall as next opponent

Teofimo Lopez beat Rolando Romero at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas on Saturday to take Romero's WBA 'Super' welterweight world title and become a three-weight world champion. He secured a majority decision and declined to call out Briton Jack Catterall as his next opponent.
Lopez had previously held world titles at lightweight and light-welterweight, and Romero was fighting in his first world title defence of the WBA 'Super' belt. The bout marked Lopez's return after he lost his WBO light-welterweight crown to Shakur Stevenson at the end of January — the second defeat of his career — and the victory moved Lopez to 23 wins in 25 fights.
Lopez largely controlled the comeback contest but suffered a significant cut above his right eye in the fifth round and was rocked by a right hand before the bell. Romero retreated into a defensive shell while Lopez kept him at range with his jab, and the judges awarded a majority decision: 116-112 and 115-113 for Lopez, with the third card 114-114.
On his immediate plans Lopez referred to the upcoming Ryan Garcia–Conor Benn fight and outlined his preferred opponents, saying: "So, you got Ryan Garcia versus Conor Benn. That's the next one. We'll see what happens there. If Conor wins, it's a great fight to take across the pond [the Atlantic ocean]. "I think I'd rather wait for Devin [Haney, WBO champion] at the end. "So, it'll either be Liam Paro next or the winner out of Ryan Garcia and Conor Benn."
Chorley fighter Jack Catterall holds the WBA 'Regular' belt, which places him next in line to face Lopez unless the WBA elects to prioritise a unification bout. Catterall responded on X: "Congratulations Teofimo Lopez but I will be taking that belt 100%. Let's Gooo."
Romero, 30, slipped to his third loss in 20 fights and voiced displeasure with the judges' scorecards. "He never hurt me at any given moment. He got hurt multiple times throughout the fight, " he said. "I am owed a rematch."
Lopez remains without a stoppage victory since 2022 and has won 13 of his 25 fights via knockout. He had hinted before the fight that he would take time out for the upcoming birth of his child but signalled plans after securing the title; he said "September 12th, right?", referring to the Ryan Garcia–Conor Benn fight, which is scheduled to take place in the same Las Vegas ring.