Magnus Carlsen wins 2026 Esports World Cup in Paris unbeaten

Magnus Carlsen won the 2026 Esports World Cup at the Paris Expo Porte de Versailles last weekend, finishing the four-day event without losing a game. The Norway world No 1 retained the title he won in Riyadh 2025 and collected the $250,000 first prize.
The tournament used a rapid-close-to-blitz time control of 10 minutes per player with no per-move increment, a format that produced several high-speed errors for the capacity audience. Organisers and players noted the format’s tendency to encourage so-called “dirty flagging,” where a theoretically drawn ending is decided by whose clock runs out first. The event ran over four days and drew substantial spectator interest in the Paris venue.
Carlsen progressed through the stages unbeaten, beginning with 1.5-0.5 victories over Russia’s Andrey Esipenko and the US’s Hans Niemann in the group phase. He beat India’s Nihal Sarin 2.5-0.5 in the quarter-finals and overcame France’s Alireza Firouzja 4-1 in the semi-finals. In the final he defeated Belarus’s Denis Lazavik in two sets, 3-1 and 3-1.
Carlsen’s most notable win came at the end of the event when he played a prepared line that included a positional queen sacrifice he had previously seen Lazavik defend. There was an option for an early draw by perpetual check, but Carlsen declined that route and pursued the win instead.
Denis Lazavik was described in the coverage as the tournament’s positive surprise, maintaining the momentum from his earlier online speed results. The 19-year-old from Minsk is ranked world No 110 in classical chess but was said to be “among the super-elite” in blitz; he received $190,000 as the runner-up. Carlsen commented on Lazavik: "He just doesn’t beat himself! He plays very solid positional chess and doesn’t put his pieces on bad squares."
Carlsen outlined his own approach after the final: "To go undefeated was part of my strategy," said Carlsen. "I wasn’t trying to do anything out of the ordinary, other than to play pretty tight chess and take whatever chances I could find. Not losing a game speaks both to the success of that strategy, and of course a little bit of randomness, but I’m happy with that."
A third-place match saw the USA’s world No 3, Hikaru Nakamura, defeat Firouzja after the Frenchman defaulted the fifth game when the score in the six-game match was 3-1 against him, in response to some technical internet issues in game four. The article noted Firouzja’s history of disputes with organisers, his withdrawal from the Sinquefield Cup in St Louis in favour of Paris, and added: "It amounts to a negative track record which could seriously limit his future invitations."
Elsewhere in recent chess events, Wesley So (US) and Praggnanandhaa Rameshbabu (India) finished tied on 5.5/9 at the Sinquefield Cup, and after two rapid tie-break games and an Armageddon decider were all drawn, the rule that a draw on the board counts as a win for Black made So the first player to win the Sinquefield Cup three times. In the Cairns Cup, China’s Tan Zhongyi won with 6.5/9 while the US’s Alice Lee finished on 6/9 to claim her first GM norm at open level; Lee, 16, had earlier won the online chess.com Women’s Speed Championship, beating Ju Wenjun 9.5-3.5 in the quarter-finals and Hou Yifan 11.5-9.5 in the final. Live commentary by GM Yasser Seirawan and others on both events is available on YouTube.
Local tournament coverage included the Kingston upon Thames Invitational, which reaches its two closing rounds on Friday; the event, held in the town centre with free entry, had Sweden’s Daniel Johnson leading after four wins, half a point ahead of top-seeded GM Daniel Gormally. Kingston 2024 held the longest FIDE-rated game at 272 moves, and in this week’s first round CM Peter Lalic reached 172 moves against Alan Scrimgour after passing 130 moves in a blocked position; Lalic was short of time and used the 30-second increment to build his clock, while arbiter Paul McKeown warned that he was violating the catch-all rule on bringing the game into disrepute before Scrimgour blundered and resigned at move 172. The Mind Sports Olympiad Rapid at the ILEC Conference Centre in Earls Court also takes place this weekend in London, attracting 16 GMs and 15 IMs with France’s 2601-rated Maxime Lagarde the top seed and prize money of £4,000.
The Kingston event will conclude with its final two rounds on Friday, and the Mind Sports Olympiad Rapid is scheduled to proceed in London this weekend, providing immediate next steps for several players mentioned in this report.