Newcastle complete £30m signing of Benfica defender Amar Dedic

Newcastle United have signed Bosnia-Herzegovina defender Amar Dedic from Benfica for about £30m, the 24-year-old joining on a five-year deal after completing a medical on Tyneside on Monday; the transfer was announced on Tuesday, his 24th birthday. Dedic started three of Bosnia-Herzegovina's four matches at the World Cup.
The move reunites Dedic with manager Matthias Jaissle, with whom he won the Austrian title at Red Bull Salzburg in 2023. "It's a special feeling and a really big honour for me to join Newcastle United," he said after the move was announced on Tuesday, his 24th birthday. "I'm really happy to be here and can't wait to start playing for the club and the amazing fans. "Working with Matthias again was a big factor for me. We know each other well. He knows what I can bring on the pitch and I'm really happy to be playing for him again. "Playing Premier League football at St James' Park is going to be really special. Every game feels like a big occasion, with an amazing atmosphere. I'm really excited to get started."
Newcastle had been searching for a new right-back following the departure of veteran Kieran Trippier, who joined Wolves on a free transfer when his contract expired earlier this summer. Tino Livramento remains sidelined while recovering from a calf injury sustained on international duty with England in June, and Dedic can also offer cover at left-back.
Jaissle said he was "really looking forward" to working with the defender again. "He's a player who I know really well, having worked with him from a young age in Austria and followed his career since," he said. "He will bring both defensive and attacking qualities to our squad, which suits the style of football that we want to play. "He's athletic, aggressive and technically very good, but also has a lot of potential to develop further."
Dedic has already experienced the atmosphere at St James' Park, having been part of the Benfica side thumped 3-0 by Newcastle in the Champions League last season. He is one of Newcastle's oldest signings this summer and is only the second arrival over the age of 20, alongside goalkeeper Lukas Hornicek.
The defender has never played in the Premier League and, like all of Newcastle's six arrivals, will need time to adapt to the intensity and physicality of the top flight. Newcastle sporting director Ross Wilson has already noted how Dedic "incredibly hungry" to prove himself, and the player is understood to have the engine to get up and down the pitch.
Although Dedic made only 24 appearances in Portugal's Primeira Liga last season, he ranked second among full-backs for carries into the attacking third (49) and third for progressive carries (202) and total carries (325). Newcastle still need further reinforcements before the transfer window shuts on 1 September.
Dedic could be called upon to feature in Newcastle's season opener at home to Liverpool on Sunday as Tino Livramento is still recovering from a calf injury sustained on international duty with England in June.