Ronaldinho seeks 300th career goal in Ravenna comeback at 46

21 Aug 2026, 02:28 am IST|
Ronaldinho seeks 300th career goal in Ravenna comeback at 46
Image source

Ronaldinho said he hopes to score his 300th career goal after announcing a comeback at the age of 46 with Italian third-tier club Ravenna on 20 August 2026. The former Brazil forward will also take a stake in the Serie C side, he and the club confirmed at a public unveiling.

Ronaldinho scored 33 goals in 97 appearances for Brazil and won titles with Barcelona and AC Milan during a career that officially ended in September 2015 when he played his last match for Fluminense. He was part of Brazil's 2002 World Cup-winning squad, scoring the winning goal in the quarter-final against England, and won the Ballon d'Or in 2005. The comeback was first announced in June by Ignazio Cipriani, an Italian-American businessman who has owned Ravenna since 2024, while Cipriani was attending the World Cup in Miami.

Thousands of fans gathered at a city beach for an event billed as "Ronaldinho Day," enduring rain to watch the unveiling of the former Paris St-Germain, Barcelona and AC Milan playmaker. The ceremony presented Ronaldinho as both a player option and a club shareholder, drawing a large public turnout despite the weather.

At the event Ronaldinho addressed the crowd and media directly, saying: "I'm very happy to be here with friends, we have a team that can do something good." He declined to guarantee appearances, adding: "Will you see me play? I don't know, only the coach knows that. Coming back to Italy is wonderful, I'm here to help my teammates win." He also commented on his condition and personal goal, saying: "As you can see, I'm in shape, I feel good... If I could score my 300th goal, that would be even more beautiful."

Ignazio Cipriani described the return in personal terms and rejected the idea it was merely promotional, saying: "His objective is romantic, to try to score his last goal." Cipriani added: "His involvement is not a token gesture or a marketing stunt to get people talking about us." He confirmed the initial announcement had been made in June and noted details of Ronaldinho's role at the club.

Cipriani also addressed selection for the opening fixture, stating that Ronaldinho would not play against Reggiana on Monday in the Serie C season opener. The club have framed the move as part of a broader plan rather than an immediate playing guarantee.

Ravenna finished third in Group B of last season's third-tier championship and are seeking a return to Serie B, where they have not played since 2008; the club begin their Serie C campaign on Monday against Reggiana, a match for which Cipriani said Ronaldinho will not feature.

RonaldinhoRavennaIgnazio CiprianiSerie C2002 World Cup