Rooney urges United to be feared after shock 2-0 opening-day defeat at Hull

23 Aug 2026, 05:13 pm IST|
Rooney urges United to be feared after shock 2-0 opening-day defeat at Hull
Image source

Manchester United were beaten 2-0 by newly promoted Hull on the opening weekend of the Premier League season, a surprise result that has prompted public criticism from former striker Wayne Rooney and scrutiny of the Red Devils. The defeat took place at Hull and has generated debate about Manchester United's intensity and preparation.

Head coach Michael Carrick defended his side in his post-match news conference, saying: "We've done a lot of good things today, but I understand it will get lost, but it doesn't get lost from our point of view," and later adding: "Just because we lost the game today, we don't have to dissect the whole picture." Carrick rejected suggestions of passivity, telling reporters: "Just because you get beat, it doesn't mean you are passive," while acknowledging his outward calm after the 2-0 loss contrasted with what he felt inside. Wayne Rooney told Match of the Day: "For Manchester United to build on what they did last season they need to become a team other teams are scared of," and "There needs to be more energy in the press. They were too passive." Carrick, associated with United as a player, coach, head coach and fan for 20 years, has previously experienced a similar external inquest after the club's August 2009 defeat at Burnley, which came three months after seven of that starting line-up faced Barcelona in the Champions League final at Wembley.

Luke Shaw expressed frustration at the result and scope for improvement, saying: "No disrespect to them, but we should be coming to Hull and winning the game," and later: "We knew Hull's strengths. At times we defended well, but the goals and set-plays weren't good enough and it cost us. We knew it was coming. As a group we could probably prepare better, especially knowing how good they are at set-plays and what their dangers are." Sources close to Shaw insisted the criticism was aimed at on-pitch performance rather than the team's pre-season work.

Former England striker and pundit Alan Shearer attributed the display to fitness issues, pointing out that six of the starting XI had been present at the start of pre-season on 9 July, and said: "United were dreadful in all positions, particularly up front. They offered nothing," adding: "There was only one team going to win. It's a worrying thing. You know what you are going to get going up against a promoted team. You need to match them."

Hull boss Sergej Jakirovic altered his tactics after studying United's pre-season, including their 4-2 defeat by AC Milan under former boss Ruben Amorim, when play was repeatedly switched to his wing-backs. That approach created space to deliver balls into the box for combative striker Oli McBurnie, who did not score, while 19-year-old United defender Ayden Heaven struggled to cope. Semi Ajayi opened the scoring by driving home the rebound after Senne Lammens had pushed a powerful close-range McBurnie effort on to a post, and Nobel Mendy added the second by getting his head to Regan Slater's free-kick despite the close attentions of Shaw and Noussair Mazraoui.

The match has prompted renewed focus on United's pre-season preparation after Youri Tielemans told Rio Ferdinand in an interview less than two weeks ago that, as players returned from World Cup duty, pre-season training had concentrated on ball work rather than running; the result is "the kind of knee-jerk dissection Carrick wants to avoid," according to the coverage.

Attention now turns to United's next Premier League fixture against Ipswich at Old Trafford on 30 August, with club staff assessing personnel and injuries. Medical permitting, Carlos Baleba is expected to be confirmed as a United player from Monday onwards, but his minor ankle injury is expected to prevent him featuring against Ipswich; Lisandro Martinez for Heaven and Marcus Rashford for Patrick Dorgu (who was replaced at half-time at Hull) were suggested as possible changes, Kobbie Mainoo could come into contention, and United officials are yet to confirm the extent of the injury that ruled Amad Diallo out of the game. Carrick said of his half-time decision: "It was nothing personal. Pat's a fantastic player. We love him to bits. But sometimes you have to make decisions," and later: "It was two set-plays. It's disappointing. We are hurting. But we can be better and we will be better."

Manchester UnitedHullWayne RooneyMichael CarrickLuke Shaw