Ryan Carr leaves Castleford Tigers for 'personal reasons'

Ryan Carr has left his role as head coach of Castleford Tigers for "personal reasons", the club announced on 21 August 2026, during the Super League season. He had been stood down two weeks earlier and director of rugby Chris Chester said last week the club were "following a process".
Carr, 38, was appointed Tigers head coach last August on a three-year contract after a spell as an assistant at NRL side St George Illawarra Dragons. The club added in a statement: "The club would like to thank Ryan for his efforts and wish both him and his family all the best for the future."
On the field, Carr won seven of his 21 Super League matches in charge and leaves with Castleford ninth in the 14-team table. Chester has taken charge of the side for the two matches played since Carr was stood down.
Chester told reporters last week that the club were not "actively looking" for a new head coach. His comments followed the period in which the club said it was "following a process" regarding the head-coach position.
Owner Martin Jepson said he was "sorry" that Carr had left the club. Jepson added: "We have had a difficult set of circumstances to deal with and unfortunately not been in a position to provide more information to the fans. However, our actions have been, and always will be, in the best interests of the club,"
Jepson confirmed that Jason Netherton would assist Chris Chester and Luke Robinson for the remaining four games of the campaign. That interim staffing change will cover the closing fixtures of the season.
Castleford visit St Helens on Saturday as they seek to build on last week's win at Hull FC.