US Open to offer $108m prize pool, largest in Grand Slam history

The US Open and the USTA announced on 20 August 2026 that the tournament will offer the largest prize fund in Grand Slam history, a total of $108 million. The decision represents a 20% increase on last year.
Carlos Alcaraz and Aryna Sabalenka won the US Open singles titles in 2026, and the singles champions will each receive $5.5m, a 10% rise on 2025; first-round losers will be paid $140,000, which is $30,000 and 27% more than last year. The prize pool includes a $2m contribution to a welfare fund that leading players have been demanding from all the Grand Slams, and the four majors have jointly announced the formation of a Grand Slam Player Council. Some players limited media appearances at the French Open and Wimbledon to 15 minutes to highlight their grievances, and representatives have asked each Grand Slam to dedicate 16% of its revenue to prize money, rising to 22% by 2030.
Player representatives have not yet seen the US Open's financial figures and the USTA has not published its 2025 financial statement, leaving it unclear whether the tournament has reached the requested revenue-share target. The article notes that if one allows for 10% growth to the $559.7m the US Open generated in revenue in 2024, a prize fund of $98.5m would have been in line with player expectations. The USTA says the financial statement will be published before the start of the main draw.
Chief executive Craig Tiley, who previously headed up Tennis Australia, described the prize offer as "a significant first step in a multi-year investment in athletes". In a BBC interview in March, world number three Jessica Pegula highlighted how last year's US Open increase was targeted primarily at those who needed it least -the players who made the second week.
The percentage increase is highest in the first round and then falls in every subsequent round. There are also greater rewards for those competing in the mixed doubles event, which takes place during qualifying week: the winners will still share $1m, but there is more for everyone else who enters, with first-round prize money doubled.
Player representatives had asked each Grand Slam to contribute $4m in benefit payments this year; the USTA is the first to ring-fence this money for the players, but it will come out of the overall prize fund. Money for the new US Open player support programme will be placed in an independent holding account while the details are worked through, and the Grand Slam Player Council will have input into that process.
The Grand Slam Player Council will launch after the US Open "with a focus on player input into sporting matters at the four Grand Slam tournaments", though the exact framework is yet to be decided; players have been invited to apply and told the council will allow them to discuss specific prize money concerns directly with the Grand Slam in question. Player representatives "welcomed" the various announcements and noted the "substantial increase" in prize money. "Players look forward to building on today's positive announcements and ensuring the Council develops into a genuinely representative and effective forum for player consultation, while continuing to work through their representatives on prize money and player welfare," a statement read.
Carlos Alcaraz is set to play the US Open after four months out, and the tournament begins on Sunday, 30 August.