Wales sports minister meets WRU amid concerns over proposal to cut regions

19 Aug 2026, 05:08 pm IST|
Wales sports minister meets WRU amid concerns over proposal to cut regions
Image source

Heledd Fychan, Wales' cabinet minister for culture and sport, met with the Welsh Rugby Union (WRU) last week to discuss supporters' concerns about the WRU's plans to reduce the number of professional men's teams from four to three, a move that has put either Scarlets or Ospreys at risk of being culled by 2028.

The WRU has reiterated its proposal to move to three professional sides by 2028, and Fychan stressed that the WRU is an independent organisation and the Welsh government has no direct role in its decision-making. In a statement, Fychan said: "Given the importance of rugby to communities across Wales, I met with the WRU last week in my capacity as cabinet minister for culture and sport to discuss the future of professional rugby in Wales. "I conveyed the concerns raised by supporters and stressed the importance of fully considering the impact of any decisions on clubs, communities and the long-term future of the game across Wales. "I welcome the WRU's willingness to continue discussions as part of this process. The Welsh government will remain engaged and committed to supporting rugby at all levels across Wales."

Fychan expanded on the meeting on BBC Wales' podcast Walescast, describing it as "a good conversation" and saying WRU chief executive Abi Tierney was present. "I don't think it'd be any surprise that I've received a lot of correspondence from both Scarlets and Ospreys fans," she said, adding that the meeting was "an opportunity for me to again reiterate the importance of the WRU properly engaging with communities."

She told the programme the Welsh government did not have an opinion on whether reducing to three sides was the correct course because the WRU is a private company. Fychan said: "I was very clear in terms of this new culture and sports strategy for Wales that the future of rugby as a community game is really important as well as that professional side and that I wanted to see, as part of the proposals that they have, how are they addressing those historic concerns."

Fychan said the WRU gave her some "positive news in terms of what's been happening with women's rugby here in Wales" and described that as encouraging given previous concerns. She also warned of a perceived gap between the governing body and supporters: "But clearly people in Wales, and especially those Scarlets and Ospreys fans, currently feel they're not being listened to. "There's that disconnect which is I think a huge concern between the WRU and the communities that they seek to work with. "So, it was an opportunity to say 'please work with them' because people are concerned about the economic impact of the closure of either club as well."

Political scrutiny of the WRU's proposals has continued through the year. In January the Welsh Affairs Select Committee said the governing body was out of touch with fans and quizzed former chair Richard Collier-Keywood and Abi Tierney in Westminster, with the committee warning the WRU risked "throwing the baby out with the bath water and alienating supporters" and describing "an immense disconnect between the WRU and fans". In March Senedd members told the WRU it had "lost the argument" over the professional game's future, with committee chair Delyth Jewell saying Welsh rugby was in a "perilous state" and urging the governing body to find an alternative approach or risk "losing the soul" of Welsh rugby.

The WRU has faced internal pressure alongside external criticism, with a concerted attempt to oust the board this week that included a plea by former Wales captain Jonathan Davies, earlier calls from businesswoman Hayley Parsons and an offer from Rob Regan to oversee an interim board. The WRU board's statement on Saturday said "personal insults and attacks that have become far too commonplace are unacceptable" and added "there is no realistic prospect of the game generating enough revenue to fund four professional teams in the country beyond 2028." The governing body says WRU-owned Cardiff and the privately backed Dragons would be given licences, leaving the west licence to be awarded to either Scarlets or Ospreys; WRU chiefs said the process to decide the framework for the final decision will begin in December and finish before the end of the 2026-27 campaign. Scarlets managing director Jon Daniels insisted there are no plans for a merger with Ospreys and called for greater transparency from the WRU, while Ospreys said they believe four professional sides is the way forward and told the WRU its plan to reduce a team is wrong and not inevitable.

The WRU has set a timetable for deciding the licensing framework, with that process due to start in December and conclude before the end of the 2026-27 campaign, leaving Scarlets and Ospreys to await which club will be awarded the west licence.

Heledd FychanWelsh Rugby Union (WRU)ScarletsOspreysAbi Tierney