Carrick: Manchester United face big step up to challenge for Premier League title

20 Aug 2026, 11:50 pm IST|
Carrick: Manchester United face big step up to challenge for Premier League title
Image source

Michael Carrick said on August 20, 2026 that Manchester United face a significant step up if they are to challenge for the Premier League title this season, speaking ahead of Saturday's season opener against newly promoted Hull City. He added he would not describe the task as impossible for the club.

United have not won the league since Sir Alex Ferguson's retirement in 2013 and, Carrick noted, have failed to sustain a serious title challenge in the 13 seasons since. Carrick returned to Old Trafford in January last season and guided United to 39 points from the 17 Premier League games he oversaw, which was more than any other team in that period. He said replicating that consistency across a full 38-game campaign will be necessary to challenge defending champions Arsenal.

Addressing the immediate fixtures, Carrick warned against viewing United's opening matches as straightforward: his side travel to Hull on Saturday and then host Ipswich Town at Old Trafford next week. "It is going to be a jump," Carrick said. He rejected the suggestion of a favourable start, adding: "There are no favourable starts. It is a tough start. A newly-promoted team away from home will be a tough game. It is not favourable; it is an easy thing to throw out there, but pretty ridiculous."

Marcus Rashford could make his first appearance for Manchester United since December 2024 when they travel to Hull after returning to the club following 18 months on loan at Aston Villa and Barcelona. Carrick said he had been impressed by Rashford since his return to training: "It has been pretty obvious since Marcus came back to training with Kobbie (Mainoo) and Licha (Martinez) in Dublin that he's come back fantastically well," Carrick said. On Rashford's positional options, Carrick added: "He can play through the middle, and he has done before. We have forwards that give us that flexibility."

United remain active in the transfer market before the window closes on September 1, having already signed Belgian midfielder Youri Tielemans and Brazil international Andrey Santos. The club have been linked with Brighton midfielder Carlos Baleba and have reportedly submitted a £60 million bid for him after failing to sign the Cameroon international last year. Carrick confirmed the club are still pursuing additions: "We're looking to strengthen the squad. We're certainly working towards that, making the most of our situation, and trying to move forward," he said.

Mason Mount faces a late fitness test after missing United's final two pre-season friendlies; Carrick offered an update, saying: "Mason will be back soon. He has picked up a bit of a knock, but there are no dramas." Defender Matthijs de Ligt has returned to first-team training after recovering from a back injury that sidelined him throughout 2026, but Carrick said de Ligt will not be involved against Hull.

United begin the new Premier League season following a strong finish under Carrick, but the manager reiterated that closing the gap on Arsenal over a full campaign will require another significant step forward from his squad.

Michael CarrickManchester UnitedPremier LeagueHull CityArsenal